- University of Pennsylvania Digital Library
- Links to many free etext sites
- Huxley.Net have Brave New World and lots of theoretical material on works of Aldous Huxley
- Philosophical Texts and Resources - Kant, Nietzsche, Sun Tzu, ...
- EMonks' Etext Project
- Chateau Ilias - Les chefs d'oeuvre de la littérature française a lire immédiatement!
- Aaron C Anderers text collection, amongst others principia discordia, or how i found the goddess and what i did to her when i found her
- An HTML version of the Principia Discordia
- University of Chicago multlingual etext services
- Proyecto Cervantes para textos electronicos en español
- En la UNAM: libros para niños y para adultos:
- poesía de Gioconda Belli Serpiente UNAM
- Das deutsche Projekt Gutenberg, leider noch in den Kinderschuhen und nur als HTML (mit frames :-((() verfügbar
- Collection of German Literature links (U of Virginia)
- The Internet Wiretap - very active in 1992 and 93, still has 100s of good books as public domain etexts (from Project Gutenberg?)
- last not least, the orignal Project Gutenberg of Free Etexts (after having been abandoned by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Ilford Benedictine College), the Walnut Creek mirror and the austrian mirrors at WU and TU
- Littérature francophone virtuelle (ClicNet)
- The John E. Stith Web Site, currently offering his award-winning Manhattan Transfer for sale at around USD 2.00
eTexts of unknown copyright protection or eTexts in Proprietary Formats
- The Rocks and the Sky - roots and flowers of modern science and literature, as seen by Chris, a weird frenchman working in an ad agency (so flame me, we're all weird in our ways)
- Biblioteka Maksima Moshkova - database of etexts, author home-/fan pages etc
- Computer books from informit.com: tied to a free membership
- Texts of dubitable copyright status occasionaly appear on USENET (e-books, e-book nntp or . remarq)
- asimov & others
- Collection of Mary Anne Mohanrajs collection of erotic fiction (not in the public domain - some of it has been published in dead tree - but free for personal use)
Meta eBooks, Rants, Copyright, ...
- Ben Rugget evangelizing eBooks (inner frame here): Since when do you pay for reading Library books and making fair use of them?
- The Rocks and the Sky above
- /. article about Stephen King's e-publishing experiment and its probable failure (local backup)
- Kathey Marsden, Archie Russell, James Hopkin and Cynthia Tian's ORChie - 1996 Modular Optical Character Recognition Software from cs.berkeley.edu
- ljc's ocre
- Emmanuel Michon's qui-ne-faut - comes with an outline routine
- Joerg Schulenburg's gocr - a free OCR program (also on sourceforge)
Unfortunately I currently don't have access to a working scanner, so I cannot really test the programs.
odds and ends
Compilers and Compiler Generators by Pat D Terry